Skip to content
slsnow's profile

• 

2 Messages

Monday, March 30th, 2015 10:00 AM

Comcast gateway address

We have two remote sites with Comcast accounts. The modems are configured by Comcast with DHCP IPs. Since this is the gateway IP our VPN uses, we would like to have this static, not dynamic. So far, all Comcast support will offer is a static IP I can use for an internal device. Is it possible to simply have their IP on their modem be static?

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

9 years ago

So when you lease a single static IP from Comcast, they actually provision you with 2 (global) addresses. 1 address is meant for you to configure on your router/firewall/VPN endpoint/whatever, and the 2nd is assigned to the Comcast-provided modem. I am not sure why you couldn't assign the customer-provisioned static IP to the VPN endpoint & be done with it. Perhaps you could explain your setup a bit more?

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

We use Juniper SRX firewalls at each end to establish the ike/ipsec VPN. There is no public IP on the device internal to the Comcast modem; theyare configured with the external gateway IP of the other side. This has been working for three years, but last week the DHCP address on the Comcast modem changed, though the device has been up 24/7. This means editing the VPN configuration, easy but not preferable. All I need to know is if Comcast can put a static rather than DHCP address on their interface.