Skip to content
amitramani's profile

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

Thursday, September 24th, 2015 11:00 AM

Comcast Auto Activation Not Working for Customer Owned Modem (COM)

I am trying to setp a Surfboard SBG6580 modem (and router) to replace the Comcast-leased Cisco DPC3939B. 

I followed the instructions, connected the coax cable to modem, powered it on. Then connected it to my laptop via an ethernet cable. I was able to login to the 192.168.0.1 interface of the modem/router succesfully. 

Just as expected, I was taken to activate.comcast.com in my browser. Once there I entered my account number and phone number. After I hit Continue, it took about a minute and I received "500 Internal Server Error". 

Has anyone had success with activating COM via the Auto Activation?

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

9 years ago

So the SBG6580 is not supported on business class; only residential. Also, i believe the self activation page is only for residential as well.

A complete list of compatible customer owned modems can be found at http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net . Make sure to select the "Business" blue slider to your subscribed speed tier.

New problem solver

• 

22 Messages

9 years ago

Hi train_wreck

Thank you for your answer. I was on the phone with Comcast. Not once did they tell me that the SBG6580 was not compatible for business comcast. 

Additionally, I tried SBG6183 (modem only) and that did not work either. Same result. I get the page on activate.comcast.com asking me to call Comcast to find out the reason why it was not activated. When I call Comcast, they took the MAC ID and said it will be provisioned within 24-48 hours. 

As of this morning, it still does not work.  This is very frustrating. 

According to http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net, the SBG6183 is supported on Business Comcast (for the Starter tier). I am on the Starter Tier in Business Comcast.  Why then does it not get activated?

Is there anyone from Comcast here that can help me? Comcast_John?