Skip to content
DManciniXDS's profile

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

Tuesday, February 28th, 2023 10:16 AM

CBR2 & Link Aggregation

I have a Comcast CBR2 (CGA4332COM) and a TP-Link TL-SG1024DE smart switch. The switch supports link aggregation (LAG).  Being that I have 13 static IPs, I would like to use LAG to connect 4 of my modem/gateway ports to the switch in tandem for a combined 4Gbps link, but when I turn LAG on in the switch, it no longer communicates with the modem at all.

What setting do I need to change on the modem to get the switch to communicate with the modem properly with LAG enabled?

Official Employee

• 

24 Messages

1 year ago

Hello @DManciniXDS thanks for reaching out to the Comcast Business Forums! I hope that I am following you correctly with the network setup. Based on the device detail for the CBR2 the configuration needs to obtain the IP addresses automatically for wired devices. I reviewed our support doc for LAN configuration here: https://business.comcast.com/support/article/internet/comcast-business-static-ip-local-area-network/ I was not able to find any setting within the device for Link aggregation or LAG settings. 

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

1 year ago

Based on the device detail for the CBR2 the configuration needs to obtain the IP addresses automatically for wired devices.

But DHCP can turned off, can't it?

I was not able to find any setting within the device for Link aggregation or LAG settings.

So, Comcast sells large blocks of IPs but gives out modems with only 6 Ethernet ports and no ability to use Link Aggregation?  If we're not allowed to use our own modems, and Comcast provides the utmost of basic hardware that doesn't support modern network conventions, how are we supposed to be "splitting" off the IP load correctly?

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

1 year ago

I will take this one step further.  It is reprehensible that business customers are treated worse than residential customers when it comes to allowing us to use  hardware that works for us.  I don't see how this isn't illegal that we be forced to use (and pay for) substandard hardware just because we're business customers.  [Edited: "Inflammatory"]  I seem to recall someone even made plans to take legal action on this point.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

I'm sorry for any inconvenience that has been caused by this situation, @DManciniXDS. While I wish our team was able to help further here, we do have limited access to assist with this advanced troubleshooting for your IP. Instead, it would be best to reach out to the dedicated Business support representative assigned to your account. Thank you for understanding!

I no longer work for Comcast. 

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

@Comcast_Cassandra​ News to me.  No one told me I have an "assigned rep."

Contributor

• 

19 Messages

Thank you for letting me know! In that case, I would recommend reaching out to the Business Support team by calling 1-800-391-3000.

I no longer work for Comcast. 

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

@Comcast_Cassandra​ Totally unhelpful conversation on the phone.  It may be time to part ways with Comcast.  No respect for customer needs.