Skip to content
kahlon's profile

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, October 21st, 2014 6:00 PM

Can't access DVR from internet

Hi,

I setup a Netgear CG3000DCR gateway to allow a passthrough mode whereby the DHCP and firewall are disabled. The gateway is connected to a Linksys E2500 router which handles all of routing. I am having trouble accessing the networked DVR outside the network, over the internet. The DVR along with all other computers are connected to the Linksys router. I used a free DDNS service so we could access the DVR using a domain and opened the correct ports on the Linkysis router to view the DVR stream. I called comacst and the CSR told me he couldn't ping the Static WAN IP that was assigned to the Linkysis router. He said it's probably a setting in the router that's preventing the IP from being seen from the internet. I checked all the settings on the Linksys router and couldn't find anything that appeared to be blocking the access to the DVR. I even used DMZ to the IP that was assigned to the DVR and it still didn't work. We have a similar setup to the picture shown below. I can access the DVR from the local network but as soon as I try from the internet it doesn't work. The DVR is set up with DHCP and has the correct, gateway, dns, and subnet ip addresses. Does anyone have any suggestions on what's causing the issue were facing? Thanks for your time. I read on other forums that the comcast supplied gateway must be in routing mode since it handles the RIP protocol, if so can I use the DHCP on the netgear and have the linksys act as a switch?

diagram of network

Thanks!

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

1 question:

@kahlon wrote:
I called comacst and the CSR told me he couldn't ping the Static WAN IP that was assigned to the Linkysis router.

So, are you leasing a static IP from Comcast? If so, then you will not be able to use it while the Netgear device is in bridge mode. Bridge mode just makes the Netgear act as a pass-through "dumb" device. To use your router with a bridged modem, you must set the WAN IP setting of the router to DHCP, and let it pull a dynamic address.

Your other mentioned method (of using DHCP on the Netgear and having the Linksys act as a switch) would be another method; you would just need to disable the DHCP server on the Linksys router, and have an ethernet cable connected from 1 of the 4 LAN ports on the Linksys to 1 of the 4 LAN ports on the Netgear (nothing connected to the Linksys's WAN port).

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I am leasing 1 static IP from comcast. Ah, I see, but I thought I was already doing what you mentioned for your first solution but DHCP was only applied to the local network. So for your first solution, I should enable DHCP server for the WAN on the router and keep DHCP for the local network while the netgear remains in bridge mode. For this setup, I can use the WAN/internet port on the linksys router to one of the 4 ports on the netgear gateway right? I understand the second solution but I think I rather use the first so that I could have one extra port on the Linksys router avaiable. Thanks train_wreck!

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I figured it out. It was just the app I was using on my phone which is an Android phone. I downloaded a different one that had the brand of my DVR in the settings and it worked. Sometimes it's the simplest things that cause the problems. Smiley Tongue