Skip to content
KirkAlm's profile

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 11th, 2015 4:00 PM

Bridged Modem, static IP config help needed

New install yesterday, moving from Centurylink DSL. Had 5 static IP's and a bridged modem with DSL, used a Unified Threat Management server (untangle.com, highly recommend & can't beat the price) for my internet interface. Did a lot of research and it seems that I should also be able to use the untangle (UT) box for my external interface with Comcast. Had my modem put into "true bridge" mode yesterday, so now comes the issue. From the research I did in the UT forums, I should put my "lowest addressable IP" the xx.17 of my 5 ip's as the primary static IP (with /29 netmask) and put the Comcast gateway IP into the Gateway block in the UT, enter Comcast's DNS servers into the DNS blocks and all should work. Nope, get a "Failed to connect to the internet, DNS failed" message.

Believing I should focus on the DNS issue.. Not sure what my next step should be...

As a side note, I can select "DHCP" on the same interface and it will pull a IP and have connectivity...

Once I get this sorted out, plan on returning the bridged Comcast modem and using a Netgear CM400...

Have also called support several times to ensure that I have the correct setting.

Kirk

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

So putting a modem into bridge mode deletes all of its static IPs & reverts it to a standard cable modem. You will need to get it taken out of bridge mode to get your static IPs back. Oh, and you can't return the modem, because it is mandatory if you have static IPs.