Skip to content
arcamm's profile

• 

8 Messages

Monday, December 1st, 2014 9:00 AM

3rd party modems that will work with static IP accounts

Are there any 3rd party modems that will work with a Comcast static IP account that can be purchased by Comcast Business customers?  Are the modems rented by Comcast the only ones that will work with a Comcast static IP account?

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks TW.  I need to get Comcast's official answer.  And why only their equipment will work.

Most of my clients have a choice between Comcast and Fios.  I need to be able to answer their questions when I made recomendations.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

10 years ago

Nope, if you have a static IP you MUST rent a Comcast-supplied gateway. This is (apparently) because static IP gateways require specific routing security functions built into them, and (apparently) only Comcast-supplied units can do this.

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hi arcamm. Thank you for the inquiry.  However Comcast will only provision static IP addresses onto Comcast owned equipment. Small Business customers can utilize their own modems with dynamic addressing only. 

Thank You

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Thank You John.  Not at all happy with the answer, but it is what it is.

How about passing this information to your business sale people.  I have had two different sales people tell me that I could reduce my costs by buying my own modem and dropping from 5 to 1 IP address.  Once the rental price hit $13, I took them up on the idea.  I puchased a modem and spent almost two hours on the phone with one of your techs trying to get it to work.  It wasn't until I talked with a second tech that the issue of static IPs came up.  He didn't think it would work with static IPs.  That's what brought me here.

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

HI arcamm.  I apologize for the misinformation you received during this process.  I will forward you comments to our Sales Manager.  Please continue to share with your experiences with Comcast Products and Services with the Forum Community and let us know if we can assist you further.

Thank You

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

10 years ago

Best advice I can say is ask your sales people to reduce the rental fee.  They have some flexibility there. The reality is the rental fee isn't there to annoy people like you.  It's to protect Comcast's network.  As long as Comcast is charging a rental fee of some kind on the equipment, the modem is "their property"  That means a subscriber who decides to break into the modem and do something with it (like load a netflow module or some such) and accidentally mucks up with the configuration and ends up advertising a /19 back into the Comcast network (instead of a /29) can be sued for a huge amount of money in a civil lawsuit.  That fact tends to greatly discourage the clueful subscribers who have the knowledge and equipment to actually do this, from doing it - and the clueless subscribers who have no responsibility at all and would do it anyway despite the lawsuit threat, are going to be blocked by the security of the device itself.