Skip to content
tlayson's profile

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, June 10th, 2016 3:00 PM

Website surrounded by a frameset

Hi,

I have a website running from a server in my home.  I have a static IP (from Comcast) and the site is accessable by both IP and domain name.  However, the site can't be crawled by any search engines because when you do a view source on the site, all you see is the following:

http://50.245.139.{X}" frameborder="0" />

I have gone through my code multiple times and there is no reference to a frameset.  Does anyone know where this is coming from?

Thanks

Tom

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

8 years ago

If you try to access the site using the public 50.245.x.x IP address directly, does it load properly? Perhaps there is an error in your domain registrar's DNS configuration.

Also, have you checked the web server config (i.e., Apache or whatever web server software you use)? And also, are you doing any 1-to-1 NAT or anything else on the Comcast gateway?

Trusted Forum Contributor

• 

113 Messages

8 years ago

You're wanting a crawl past frames. You're lucky to get a workaround at best through meta tags etc.

https://searchenginewatch.com/sew/news/2064573/search-engines-frames

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

No.  I want to know where the frames came from and how to get rid of them.  They are not part of my code, which leads me to believe they are coming from some external source.

Thx

Tom

• 

113 Messages

8 years ago

Just curious, if I may ask a stupid question but have  you tried another computer with the same test?

Curious if possible you have a browser hijack.

If you're running linux you're welcome to send me SSH login credentials and I can login and report back.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Not a dumb question at all.  I've tried from numerous computers.  If I hit the site from a Windows 7 machine, I get the page source as expected.  If I open the page on a Windows 10 machine in Chrome or IE, I get the frameset.  Could this be a Win10 security setting of some kind?

Thx

Tom

• 

113 Messages

8 years ago

Sounds like a compromised Windows 10 installation honestly.

Can you try running Internet Explorer in safe mode from the Windows 10 machine?

• Open a Command Prompt Window (See below ***)
  • Type cd/ to get a blank C: prompt
  • Type in "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff (where C: is your local drive)
  • Press ENTER

Or just paste C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff into a command prompt and press enter then.. 

try to load the page to see if a module is loading in Internet Explorer. It's the most I can recommend unless I can inspect the workstation (Which I can from remote). I'm in California.

***OPEN A COMMAND PROMPT***

Windows 8:

From start screen - select 'All Apps' icon. Scroll to the right and locate the Windows System section. Select Command Prompt. This will open a new command prompt screen on the desktop.

If keyboard installed - Keystroke Windows Key + X

Windows 7:

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command prompt

Or Keypress Windows Key + R and type cmd (short for command)

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Hi Samuel,

Thanks for the ideas.  I can view the source just fine on Win 7 and Win 8.  I get the bogus frameset on any Windows 10 machine.  I've had a number of people try it.  The site is http://www,mysportsconnect.net if you'd like to give it a try and let me know what you see.

Thanks again for all the help.

Tom

• 

113 Messages

8 years ago

Your frame is caused by a forwarding of the domain. The frame contents is caused by the process of Godaddy's forward.

Configure your domain at Godaddy to use "Forward Only".

You can tell this is the case when you visit other pages, the URL stays at  your domain.com

Set up your own nameservers add them to the domain and host some local name servers.