Skip to content
Ahochau's profile

New Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, January 3rd, 2014 10:00 AM

"Transferring an Existing Domain" is only DNS hosting

After struggling with getting a domain moved over to comcast for almost a year, I finally got an answer today and it it seems to be you can't transfer an existing domain name.  You can only host the DNS with comcast.

Although you can host the DNS with comcast, they do not become the registrar for a domain.  You still need to maintain the domain name with the original registrar.  However, if you want to register a new domain name then comcast will take care of the registration for you.  The wording on the website is misleading.

Oh yeah, to edit the DNS, you need to go in to the website buidling tool they have.

Accepted Solution

Frequent Contributor

• 

39 Messages

11 years ago

Comcast does NOT take over registration of your domain. You will need to contact your current registrar (go daddy) and renew so that you don't loose it.

Administrator

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

Hello Ahochau,

Thank you for post, the community appreciate it!

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

Interesting. Documentation here:

http://businesshelp.comcast.com/help-and-support/email/using-own-domain-business-class-email-web-hosting/

Suggests that this is in fact the case. Comcast does not appear to become the registrar in a domain transfer, only the DNS provider.

New problem solver

• 

21 Messages

11 years ago

Comcast_Jon, are you confirming this information?  That Comcast cannot actually perform a domain transfer?

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

hello,

kindly confirm that COMCAST Business is not doing Registrar for "Transferring existing domain".

My Registrar at godaddy.com is ending in 18 hours.

I need to be certain.

thanks in advance

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Hello, can COMCAST officially confirm it ? (that COMCAST business does not provide transfer existing domain + REGISTRAR)

My domain is expiring in 19 hours at Godaddy.com (hosting + REGISTRAR)

thanks !

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

was not told this when I changed to Comcast.  Was told by sales rep I could move registration to Comcast for free, and save the annual registration fee