Skip to content
ComputersUnlimited's profile

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, March 12th, 2015 10:00 AM

Static IP and customer owned Modem

I just spent $90.00 on a new  Motorola SurbBoard SB6141 modem so I can save $12.00 on my bill by not having to lease one from Comcast.

I got it installed and called comcast to have it activated.  It is working now but I still have a problem.

I have 5 static IPs, When I spoke with support yesterday to activate it I was told it was possible to own my own modem and use it with a static IP, but another department would have to do it and and she would have to create a ticket.  I even spoke to two different people who both said the same thing. Also when I looked on this link for an approved modem there is nothing that says one way or the other whether it can be done, which implies it can. Just a little while ago I received a phone call from Comcast that static IPs cannot be used with customer owned equipment.

So my questions are:

1. Which is the truth, can I own my own modem and still use static IPs?
  2. If I can how do I get them set up, I can enter the private IP address of the modem into a web browser but the page I get offers no configuration at all.

Thank You

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Customer with Business Ethernet Service can utilize their own routers with Static IP addressing.  Here is a link to additional information on Ethernet Services.

"For Small Business customers, Comcast does not allow for the configuration of Static IP addresses on any customer owned equipment"

Thank You

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

I apologize for the conflicting information that you have received concerning this request.  

"For Small Business customers, Comcast does not allow for the configuration of Static IP addresses on customer owned equipment".   

The SB 6141 is a standalone modem with no router functionality. There are no WAN side user configs available on the device.

Thank You

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Is their any thing I can do to own my own modem and still use my statics?

Even if it means getting a different modem then what I have.