Skip to content
terrapen's profile

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, October 12th, 2015 4:00 PM

SMC -> Cisco == My statics are broken

I had Comcast send out a tech to switch me from my very reliable SMC modem to a Cisco model because I wanted IPv6 access for some work-related stuff I'm doing.  The install seemed to go well but after the tech left, I found that my static IPs were no longer working.  Traffic from the public internet was not making it through to my firewall--I sniffed the interface to confirm this.  Something on this modem is blocking my traffic.   Hourlong call with biz class support was totally fruitless.  Asked to speak with a supervisor eventually and was put on hold and the tech came back to say that his supervisor said that I needed a reverse DNS record.   LOL--is this their stock answer for every network problem that they don't understand.   Tech flat-out refused to escalate my issue because "he didn't have that option".

I've been running my statics for over a year with no issues and I haven't changed a thing on my firewall.   Has anybody had this issue?  I'm new to the Cisco GUI and can't find anything that looks amiss.  No idea what's blocking my traffic.

FWIW, I'm running PFSense as my firewall.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

OMG, three minutes of forum reading after I posted and I found this:

http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Modems-Gateways/Cannot-Forward-Traffic/m-p/27233

Sure enough, the "Disable all rules and allow all inbound traffic through" box was not checked on my modem.  If someone from Comcast is reading this, please pass this on to your L1 support techs, as mine had no clue.  My installer didn't know about this, either.  Thanks, VBSSP-RICH, you saved me a ton of hassle and saved my installer another trip out here.