Skip to content
bmvakili's profile

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, February 22nd, 2021 5:46 PM

Intermittent connection issue between static IPs

I have a block of five static IPs with two of them active. All firewalls are disabled and each of the two static IPs are associated with a "Online Trusted Static Device" and everything works fine when an external IP address connects. However, connecting from one static IP to the other mostly doesn't work and only intermittently does a connection occur. To illustrate this, if a machine on the network behind the first active IP connects to the second active IP, the connection isn't established most of the time, and, a large delay occurs at times when a connection is established.

For example, from a computer behind the first active IP, here are some observations:

traceroute ${IP2}     # results shown is internal computer IP -> 96.120.*.* (this is a Comcast IP address and not one of the static IPs assigned to my account) -> static block gateway IP address (sometimes this is skipped) ->  second active static IP address

curl http://${IP2}   # there is a service listening on port 80 and serving requests, as verified by connecting to the IP2 from external source, but coming from internal IP1 lan, it results in large delays and nothing or sometimes actually returns a result

How can the connection from IP1 to IP2 be done?

For what it's worth, the network behind IP2 is wired-only and I'm currently bypassing this issue by connecting a computer to both the IP1 network and the IP2 network.

Gold Problem solver

• 

49 Messages

3 years ago

Hi, qr913 qr. This is an interesting issue to run into, we appreciate you bringing it to our attention! We'd like to take a look at your account to review everything and then in turn, see what suggestions we can provide. To get started, please click on my handle (Comcast_Morgan) and send a private message with your name, the business name, the complete service address (including city, state, ZIP, suite number, etc), the phone or account number, and any other pertinent details. Talk soon!

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks, just to close the loop on this thread, the issue got resolved after some back and forth with Comcast tiered network over the course of a couple of months and a lot of experimentation. In the end, replacing the hardware modem did the trick and some configuration. IIRC it had something to do with hairpinning and NAT loopback.  Haven't had any issues after upgrading the modem.