Skip to content
alsoeric's profile

New problem solver

• 

2 Messages

Monday, March 2nd, 2020 7:00 PM

getting static IP address

I spoke to a comcast rep yesterday and I was told the only way I could get a static IP was if I had comcast cable modem. Is there no way I can use my own cablemodem and get a static IP? also I was told the fee for a single static address was 20$/month.  was I misquoted or is that the real address rental fee?

Accepted Solution

Problem solver

• 

348 Messages

4 years ago

Hi there, thank you so much for taking the time to reach out to the Digital Care Team here through the forums. I am so sorry to inform you that you would actually need one of our modems to have a static IP. As far as the modem rental fee, we can check to see what the price is. Can you please send us a private message with your name, the full address, and phone/account number? 

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Following up.

Anisa gave me a very nice informative and useful reply. In a nutshell, I have to rent a modem and a static IP address for approximately $35 a month.

There may be a different way to solve my particular problem. Linode rents nanodes for $5 a month. For $35 a month you get a pretty substantial virtual machine. They come with static IP addresses both IPV 4 and IPv6. It's almost at the point where you don't need a server at home.

The way I figure it, IP packets from Comcast and Linode are identical so I'm going with the cheaper route.

Official Employee

• 

294 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you so much for providing this information and for your patience. I am all about saving money so I understand wanting to go the cheaper route. Do you have any additional questions or concerns for me this evening?