Skip to content
U

• 

2 Messages

Monday, May 20th, 2024 1:44 AM

SMTP Authentication - Keeps forcing password change

Why does Comcast keep forcing me to change my password for my authenticated SMTP access because they detect "security issues"?  This will happen at random times.  Even after I change it, it will get locked another time or two before it sticks within the first hour or so. 

This is a huge inconvenience and interrupts my business.

I am not sending a huge volume of email or anything.  These connections are coming from my Comcast connection/static IP Address.

What can I do to prevent this from interrupting my business?

Thanks!

Dale

Official Employee

• 

19 Messages

4 months ago

user_24dh28 Thank you so much for your post on SMTP authentication. SMTP authentication 

reduces email spoofing, phishing, and spam by ensuring only authorized users can send and receive emails. Make sure you have your email settings set correctly: Your SMTP host should be us. smtp.comcast.net You can also try these steps when logged into your Xfinity email.   1. Click on the account name 

2. at the "outgoing server"line, click on "edit SMTP server"

3. enter any description (I use "comcast")
4. Enter the server name, smtp.comcast.net,
5. ensure port (465). Security (ssl/tls), and authentication (normal password) are all correct
6. Set user name to be the account name 
7. Click OK

(edited)

• 

2 Messages

I am using all of those settings.  But about every two months you lock my account that I am using to authenticate.  I receive an email that asks me to change my password.

It takes me several attempts to get things working again as you keep locking my account.

Official Employee

• 

21 Messages

I understand your concerns, if we think your login was compromised, you’ll be asked to reset your password. If you feel your security has been compromised I recommend reaching out to our security assurance team.

https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse

The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected computers (commonly referred to as bots), online fraud and other security issues.

• Business Hours: 8:00am - 12:00am EST, 7 days a week