Skip to content
TheWebGamer's profile

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

Wed, Oct 24, 2012 9:00 AM

Poor Connectivity, 10-60 second lag spikes and outages

We are an internet based company.  Our connectivity defines our success and or failure.  At this time we are loosing customers again.  We have had Comcast refund 6+ months of service charges this year alone.  We thought you had everything fixed, and now we seen to be back to square one.  We have constant lag spikes which last 10 to 60 seconds where there is NO traffic being routed through your modems.  We call these outages, and we know you like to argue that they are not outages.  We do not care what you want to call them, they are killing our business which is effecting our ability to take care of our employees and their families.  We keep seeing that "Comcast Cares", but letters to those Supervisors and Network Engineers we have been told to work with are NEVER answered or addressed ever.  And this way of dealing with your customers has gone on the same way for years.  The only time we get any attention is when we start talking with our Lawyers, which we are doing so again today.

Take a look at just how wonderful Comcast Bulsines Class is... it stinks!

http://vindicator.us/images/ComcastBusiness.10-23-2012-TWG.jpg

http://vindicator.us/images/ComcastBusiness.10-24-2012-TWG.jpg

Comcast Business 10-34-2012

Responses

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

8 years ago

For the past few days we have had an average of 4 to 14 people using our hosting.  Normally we see over a thousand people within the 30+ virtual servers on 7 physical servers.  So almost all of our customers have left.  I have been told that there is nothing really more they can do to correct whatever is going on.  I have totaly lost heart and faith.

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

8 years ago

Here is out traffic on 10-29 last night at prime time...  No one was really even on.  4 People playing Minecraft can not cause a 50 MB down and 10MB up connection lag out.

End of TWG

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

8 years ago

Time for my morning update.  Wow, was I in a mood last night or what.  I did not take the news very well that there is nothing Comcast can do for me and the fact that you are trying to blame everything on my traffic...

Ok Lets start by looking at the DSL Reports for the last 3 hours and the last 30 hours on 173.166.234.158

dot 158 last 30

Now lets look at a smoke ping from CA1 to the Head End at 69.139.197.233.  Please note that the date/time stamps for both pings are within the same day, hour and minute of each other.

Head End

Now lets take a look at how many of my customers I had online during this test.   Normally this time of day I would see 3 or 400 customers...  Humm.. looks like only 18 at the moment.  One of them is in the process of canceling their server and using FTP to download all their files in order to move to a new server hosting company.  So you might see some higher level upload traffic due to the one slow FTP.  If you have ever tried to use FTP to transfer thousands of little tiny files you will understand just how slow that process is.

18 online users.

Now for your favorite IP to test my server from.  Here is a 12 hour ping test from 173.166.234.158 to the Comcast Head End at 69.139.197.233. Which ran from mindnight  00:00 AM Pacific time to 12:00 PM Pacific time.  This covers the normal 4 of 5 hours a day when we have our best internet as well.  You will note that we still had a 2% packet loss average over the last 12 hours in just the 3 hops it takes to get from my modem to the head end.

2%+ Packet loss over 12 hours to head end.

It is my hope that you will find this test usefull.   I will start another 12 hour ping here shortly to cover the worst part of the day/evening/night when Comcast Internet is at it's worst between my modem and the Head End.  Thank you again for an IP address we can use in common to match tests against each other.

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

8 years ago

Face palm.... Ok John...  I feel like an ass for that then.   I am still pulling 2% packet loss from my office to the head end.  So far this is going on around the clock.  Mt tests have been running at 12 hours at a shot.

Pinging 69.139.197.233 from 173.166.234.158

Last night was 32767 packets sent at 256k wiht a 500ms time out going 3 hops to the head end.  We received 31965 packets back for a 2% loss.  Ping times ranged from 7ms to 199ms with an average of 10ms.

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks...  but as you can see from my connection, almost no one is connected and it is still failing.  We are talking to Comcast Fiber sales and to other providers.

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

8 years ago

Oh  by the way....  I am multi-line load balanced with 2 x 50/10 modems.  Both modem are failing at the same time.

Please supply the records proving that we are pulling more than the 50/10 MB/s please. 

Many thanks

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

8 years ago

Have not heard back from anyone about  our problems, but the connectivity issues seem to be getting better.   I loaded up my second modem to see what effect it would have on our main Business Class, and I could not even tell.   So we think someone is working on this area, just not telling us of any progress.

Anyone know why the head end went down yesterday for a while?

Head end 11-8-12

Also at this time we are working with local Comcast sales towards the deployment of fiber to this location or to a Co-Locaton supprted by Comcast.   Also Comcast took us out for Sushi at Mizu then packed us off to some fantastic seats for the Kings game against the Pistons last night.  My business partner is a huge Kings fan and was both very impressed and very excited.  Yes, I was very happy to go too.  Thank you Comcast!

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

8 years ago

Here is the LIVE link to the Smoke ping to your head end at 69.139.197.233

http://www.dslreports.com/r3/smokeping.cgi?target=network.c4d01e4d943120441f22ca4fabcf4f9b.CA1

Here again is the live link to our modem at the Offices of The Web Gamer

http://www.dslreports.com/r3/smokeping.cgi?target=network.cfa9de46e85fbe281211952aeb2b5f6f.CA1

As I said before, we are looking rather darn good at 2:07 PM my time today.  I nice stable looking green line.

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

8 years ago

For anyone reading this.  The "Official" word from Comcast is that this is the best they can deliver, and there is nothing they can do to correct any issues we have with our connectivity.  So if you have Comcast Business Class Cable, expect moments of up to 98% packet loss, extended lag spikes etc. with the full knowledge that this is the best you can expect.  If you need to host some servers, take them to a Data Center in your local area and look into "Blended Internet".

Frequent Contributor

• 

37 Messages

8 years ago

Wow John!

Check thnis out.... I have not seen a connection like this in years!  This is amazing!!!  This is a graph of the last 9 days.  What in the heck did they do to fix it!?!?!?!   I am floored!  I am Stunned and I am still connected to see it...

I would really like to know what they did to fix our problem.  No one has called me in just over a week, but I can see they worked on it and fixed it.

Thank you!!!

wow/..

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Could we get a response about how this issue was fixed?  I had an unexplained 8 hour outage and morning outages over several days which prompted me to start inspecting my uptimes and packet loss as well.  See https://secure.dslreports.com/r3/smokeping.cgi?target=network.1bc86f75dc1ddfd6b583ac439d748c53.CA1 and https://secure.dslreports.com/r3/smokeping.cgi?target=network.1bc86f75dc1ddfd6b583ac439d748c53.KS.  Ignore the blip around 2PM today as that was the Comcast tech wasting time disconnecting the line just to say everything was "working great".  On Sunday you'll notice a near-constant 5%-10% packet loss.

Could I also have the cusadmin password reset on the SMC gateway so that I can view the signal information?

-Brad