Skip to content
sr-templets's profile

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Sunday, June 3rd, 2012 11:00 PM

Constant service drops since 4/26/12

Our Internet service has been effectively unusable since 4/26 which has made it practically impossible to conduct business. We've had multiple service calls to Comcast support, tech visits, 3 different modems, conversations with supervisors, several firmware upgrades including test firmware and still no resolution. This is what I know.

on 4/25 and 4/26 there was some upgrade to Comcast's system involving multiple changes. After that our service began to fail. I've run continuous low impact ping tests against the first hop router and discovered that very consistently, connectivity is up for 2-3 minutes, then down for 2-3 minutes. I've been monitoring packets on the network and saw a continuous flow of ARP traffic from Comcast's network into mine. These were for IP addresses that had nothing to do with my subnets, but proved it was not a wire-level connectivity error. There was always a flow of packets. The connectivity problem appears to be at layer-3. At one point we had two modems in parallel of a splitter one using my static IP, the other a DHCP address. When one failed, within a very short time the other failed. One tech said that there was a problem syncing on 2 upstream channels. That would make some sense why layer-2 could flow to me - no reply involved.

A few times during the month service came back for typically about 8 hours. This is completely anecdotal, but what is weird is that it starts working at 10am and stops just before 6pm. A couple of times it looks like it was up all weekend. I'm wondering if our service failure is due to some other party with a defective modem. Also, a few times established Skype calls were able to continue for quite some time after we lost web access and shell connections.

We have had Comcast business class Internet for about a year now. This was a new install, new cable installed from the street into our building. We only use the Internet service and until 4/26 we have had rock solid, reliable connectivity. We've had to use Verizon 4G tethered off our iPads to keep working, which is expensive, but fortunately has been working as long as we don't run out of data-plan bytes mid-session.

One frustration is that I get no feed back from support telling me what is going on. When the service seems to come on, I don't know if it is due to random factors, or some change on Comcast's part. It started working today (Sunday) so I have no faith it will be on tomorrow morning. Did they fix something? Do they think it is fixed after every change, and wait for me to make yet another call to tier one support to complain? I've had more than enough of those to break my contract, but until recently I've been please with the service. I've begun to look for alternatives. Megapath and Telepacific seem to offer cable broadband in my area, but as it used Comcast's wires and ??? before it gets into the alternative carriers' networks, I'm not sure they can provide better service.

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

sr-templets, welcome to the Forum and thank you for your post.  I apologize for the delay in resolution to for your issue.  In working with the National Tier 2 group we discovered there was incorrect provisioning of you service level as well as a firmware issue with the gateway.  Those issues were corrected this morning.  Please let me know if you again experience issues with connectivity.

Thank you

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Service is STILL down. Was up yesterday night and this morning, but at 2:26pm in the middle of a meeting, down and the up for 3 mins, down for 3 mins started again. 

I cannot run a business like this. On Monday I will look into finding alternative service and cancelling my contract w/ Comcast.

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

sr-templets. The local market has been working the connectivity issue since 6/6/2012.   since your issue has not been resolved I will again contact the local market and assist with resolution.  Currently the gateway shows active and online for the past 36 hrs. Please send me you contact info via PM and I will work with you directly.

Thank you

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Up/down cycling stopped at 1:45 pm. We'll see how long it lasts...

As a note for others having simlar problems, while not as satisfying as having reliable service from Comcast, one option for your businesses is to get a "dual-WAN" router and connect one port to Comcast and the other to a low-cost basic DSL service. For me that is 768k from AT&T. The router will then either fail-over or load balance between the two. That way you should always have some connectivity even when Comcast is down, for whaterver reason, whereever in the network the problem lies. 

For me this is $30+ for ATT + $250 for the router. Other than the increased cost, the downside is that you may not be (painfully) aware of when your Comcast service is down.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

The intermitent service started up again at 1:11pm. Not even 48 hours up.

When in down phase, I can't ping first router past the gateway from inside, but can ping my external interface. From a remote site can ping the router, but not my IP. Traceroute shows different last hop routers depending on direction and remote source. That may be normal.

Now back to iPad tethering. Good thing it is Saturday. 

I'd still really like to know (1) why does this continue to happen with exactly the same behavior, and (2) what is the significance of the up for 2 minutes / down for 2 minutes cycling? Its got to be related to the same problem, and if there is a new problem every couple of days. Doesn't speak well.  

FWIW, we are in a primarily residential area, would that somehow affect service?

Accepted Solution

Retired Employee

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Steven, we have scheduled a service tech to your location.  There are no network events that randomly resets individual gateways.  Analysis shows that the upstream SNR is still out of spec after the node work. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Service was up this morning, but down at 15:53:46. At that time it began the up for about 2 minutes down for 2 minutes. This is on going (again) since that time, about 4 hours now. Also, I went to check to see how long the modem was up, and now the password on my modem has been changed and I can't get in to check. Why can't this stay fixed for more than a few hours? It's like Comcast keeps undoing things.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Looks like it has been up some of the weekend.

A quick check of my logs shows connectivity over the weekend at times, pretty much up all day Monday, but down again about 8:30pm.

6/9 ok until 13:40
6/9 13:40 up/down cycle begins
6/9 23:47 up/down cycle stops
6/11 20:39 up/down cycle begins

I'll contact you directly.

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

12 years ago

Service was up for 2+ weeks, but started the up/down cycling again tonight. Will try to contact you directly again.

Problem solver

• 

110 Messages

11 years ago

Policy and Guideline Violation