Skip to content
cgrafner's profile

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Sat, Nov 16, 2019 7:00 AM

Clients with Comcast Home service cannot connect to VPN but Comcast Business can

I realize that I am posting this in the Business forums but Comcast support is no help.

I am an IT Consultant and I have Comcast Business class internet at my home where my office is.

Here is the problem I am running into and this is not the first time. First I saw this on the Eastern and North sides of town. The problem I am about to describe fixes it self in about 1 to 2 months it seems. As of yesterday, my clients on the West side of town and in the foothills are having this problem.

The problem -

I have multiple clients at different businesses using VPN to access their offices when at home. I have them all setup using a IPSEC VPN with strong keys (ports 500,4500,1701), not using any PPTP VPN's.

Out of no where, any client trying to connect to their respective office using Comcast Home internet cannot connect. They get an error. If they have Centurylink or say use a hotspot on their phone it works fine. If I try to connect using my Business Class internet it works fine.

Now to prove this, I took one of my wireless computers and put it on my Business class and tried the VPN. No problems. I then borrowed the wifi of my neighbor accross the street who I do IT work for and has Comcast Home internet service. I tested this and sure enough I cannot connect.

No if I wait a month or so this may start working again but my clients cannot wait.

Comcast is blocking something randomly on the Comcast Home internet service to keep people from connecting to VPN's. Again, this has never been a problem with Comcast Business.

I am getting no where with support and I am lucky if they even understand what I am saying. Comcast has done something, an update, Net Neutrality?

I have proven that this is a thing and I need Comcast to step up and help or acknowledge what they have done.

Responses

• 

1 Message

1 y ago

I have used the VPN connection for years to work remotely with my office.  for the last 2 weeks I cannot connect my laptop to my VPN using my comcast home internet.  I can use my hotspot on my Verizon phone but Comcast home network will not connect.  I have called both residential and business and all they have told me is that i need tier 2 support.  So far no help from tier 2. 

I assume the only fix is to change internet providers.

Official Employee

• 

518 Messages

1 y ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your VPN issues. I very much appreciate your patience and greatly apologize for the delay in our response. I know how important the services are to your business and we want to do all that we can to assist. As far as the residential services are concerned I would like to provide this link that will help you to ensure that the modem settings are correct on the residential modems to support the vpn services. https://comca.st/2K5KvEl.Can you please reach out through private message with your first and last name, business service address and account number or phone number? I would like to review the business account further so that I can check the settings and see if there are any options for us to assist you on the business side. 

• 

3 Messages

1 y ago

Has this been resolved?

I have many users, home and business and when I run a tracert from their pc's the connection drops at the same place. No other ISP has this problem.

2 9 ms 10 ms 13 ms 96.120.104.13
3 10 ms 9 ms 9 ms 68.87.133.149
4 15 ms 16 ms 20 ms 68.85.61.9
5 16 ms 11 ms 13 ms 96.110.7.86
6 11 ms 17 ms 19 ms 69.139.214.46
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.

Official Employee

• 

144 Messages

1 y ago

Hi there! I'm so sorry for the delay. During this time, we are doing our very best to make sure we respond to you as soon as possible. Thanks so much for reaching out with your questions. You've absolutely reached the right place, and are in good hands. I will own this Issue for you and ensure that I provide the best help I can today. All I need is your full name, account number (follow link https://comca.st/2Vqx2Ny, account number is at the top right)and address including city, state, and zip code exactly how it reflects on the bill? Thanks in advance. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

1 y ago

I just checked in with my clients who were having this problem. It looks like after they called Comcast and had then do a reset of the modem, it started working  again. I am curious to see if that helps anyone else. When this first started I had clientsw rebooting comcast modems but that did not help. 

Not sure what I reset would be fixing.

Official Employee

• 

518 Messages

1 y ago

Thanks so much for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your VPN connection issues. I very much appreciate your patience and greatly apologize for the delay in our response. I know how important the services are to your business and we want to do all that we can to assist. I know how frustrating this has been for you to work to resolve with so many people reaching out currently and working from home. I am glad to hear that a reset of the modem helped to resolve the issue. A modem reset can have a big impact on network set up, and can resolve multiple issues. Do you still have connection issues with other clients? If so, can you please reach out through private message with your first and last name, business service address and account number or phone number?