Skip to content
BrianSDX2's profile

New problem solver

• 

6 Messages

Saturday, October 10th, 2020 10:00 AM

XFinityWiFI Public Hotspot CBR-T

Good Afternoon All,

I have been having issues with my CBR-T modem broadcasting the xfinitywifi public hotspot. I tried going through the support approach which resulted in my modem being swapped out multiple times. My original modem was a DPC3939B which broadcasted the hotspot for my guests. I started having connection issues with the modem which resulted in a shiny new CBR-T being installed. Since this modem has been installed I have not had a single issue with my connection. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get the public hotspot to broadcast from this device. It has been installed here for about one week. The modem is not in bridge mode, the private wifi is broadcasting and the hotspot feature is enabled on my account. I even can see it on the xfinitywifi map. I really would like this resolved.

Thanks,

Brian

Accepted Solution

New problem solver

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

For anyone that comes across this post, I wanted to post the result. While the CBR-T does technically support the xfinitywifi hotspot, Comcast engineering has disabled this feature due to a known issue with it on the CBR-T specifically. As of this writing, there is no ETA on a resolution for this item. I personally have reverted to a DPC3941. I am waiting for the hotspot to enable by itself at this time. Currently, it has been 3 days. I also want to let you all know that the issue with latency spikes and packet loss on the DPC3941 has been resolved by a non (GA) general availability firmware. The firmware number is p19 and a Tier 2 technician at Comcast Busines support can get this loaded for you if you are experiencing issues with the DPC3941 when the modem is under load. This firmware will not help if you have line issues or if there is a problem at the head-end.

All around, getting to this conclusion has been nothing short of a painful experience with a total of 6 visits by a Comcast technician and 5 modem swaps. The result though is positive as I am ok with the DPC3941 now that the latency issue has been resolved. Now I just need the hotspot to enable and everything will be fine again.

Gold Problem solver

• 

421 Messages

4 years ago

Hi there! I'm sorry that there's been trouble with the guest hotspot, it sounds like there's been a lot done to try and correct this. Let's take a look and see what's going on; please click on my handle (Comcast_Gina) and send a private message with your name, the business name, the complete service address (including city, state, ZIP, suite number, etc), and the phone or account number, and any other pertinent details. 

New problem solver

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Just wanted to update this thread. With some help from various resources, I was directed to a technician that was able to reach an engineer to resolve this issue. The root cause was not disclosed but I suspect there is a firmware issue that needed to be resolved. I believe that this technician found and fixed the issue manually for me and will work to get it fixed in the next firmware build for this router. I appreciate the assistance from this group. 

New problem solver

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Good Morning,

The previous issue has returned one week later but is now worse because my private wifi is impacted as well. I now do not have 2.4 GHZ for private or public and the hotspot is again not broadcasting at all. Can I please have the case reopened and have the tech that worked the problem reach back out?

New problem solver

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

The technician I was working with was able to get this feature back to a working state by running commands on the modem, but the issue is not fully resolved. If the modem is rebooted or takes a firmware update the hotspot will disable itself automatically. There seems to be a larger issue with the firmware that should be triaged by engineering. I'm not sure if that will happen, but I do have a contact now that can enable the feature as needed should it shut itself off. My larger concern is if this is a firmware issue there would be a lot of these modems that would not be able to offer the hotspot service to customers at business establishments.