Skip to content
tm401's profile

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, August 6th, 2015 10:00 AM

WiFi speed, or lack thereof

We have been a sometimes happy Comcast Business WiFi customer for almost 3 months. I received an email from Comcast today wanting me to do a speed check of my internet service and then switch to Comcast because it was so much better. Just for fun I ran the test. It shows download speed of .45Mbps and upload speed of .2 Mbps. Not very impressive. We are supposed to be getting up to 16Mbps download. I just re-ran the test 3 hours after the first one and now get .45 download and 3.4 upload. I'm posting here b/c talking to Comcast customer service is not as much fun as a root canal, and it is impossible to email Comcast. We are a 2 person office w/ 2 laptops using WiFi. My laptop is less than 6 feet from the router, but there are 2 walls between it and the router. Anyone from Comcast care to comment?

Problem solver

• 

326 Messages

9 years ago

Run your speed test on a system using an ethernet cable plugged into the comcast modem and see what it says.

Even wireless N if it's on 20Mhz channel will not give you more than around 30Mbt downstream even in good situations.

If your serious you run ethernet.  Wifi is for kids surfing the web on tablets and phones it is not for any serious busines work.

Gold Problem solver

• 

610 Messages

9 years ago

@tmittelstaedt wrote:

If your serious you run ethernet.  Wifi is for kids surfing the web on tablets and phones it is not for any serious busines work.

Completely agree. No matter how high of speeds you may be able to achieve on WiFi, even 802.11ac supposedly "gigabit" wireless specs, you will always run into RF interference issues with any wireless technology. The issue will be latency; a solid insulated copper wire will always transmit/receive signals better than airborne radio waves. With the latest 4x4 MIMO tech in in the latest wireless radios, and within reasonable distance without obstacles, you can get pretty close to a wireline connection in terms of latencies, but nothing will replace a physical wire. It's a physics-based thing, solid vs air.

OP, are you using the rental Comcast gateway for your WiFi? If so, I would recommend seeing if you could buy/borrow a standalone wireless router, and see if that improves things for you.

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

We reset the router twice and are now getting 16+mbps download, which is what we are paying for, Comcast acted like it was crazy that we hadn't done that in the last 30 days, but I don't recall any instructions to do so when it was installed. We will do it now.