Skip to content
Nines-Corp-IT's profile

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, October 11th, 2018 9:00 PM

Multiple Comcast Business Wireless Networks - How do they operate together?

Are Comcast Business wireless routers configured and programmed to do something special to cooperate with other Comcast Business wireless routers in the same airspace?  Specifically, I'm trying to figure out if Comcast wireless routers work better together when sharing the air space (such as in a small office building with many tenants).  If so, what do they (the wireless routers) do when they see each other in the same space?

Official Employee

• 

294 Messages

6 years ago

Hi! Thanks for reaching out. To answer your question, no. Here is a link for details about a feature we offer called Business Wi-Fi Pro. Please let me know if this helps. https://business.comcast.com/help-and-support/wifi/comcast-business-wifi-pro-access-the-portal/

Official Employee

• 

294 Messages

6 years ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you were able to visit that link. 

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

Hi.

Yes.  I did click that link and viewed the documentation.  I don't see how that answers my question at all.  It tells me about the app to manage my Comcast Business wireless networks.  It does not tell me whether two different wireless routers actually communicate with each other to optimize the wireless environments.

For example, one of the challenges with multiple access points in the same airspace is channel overlap.  Do the Comcast business wireless devices communicate with each other to minimize channel overlap?  That is just one example.

• 

163 Messages

6 years ago

We only supply 1 router with our services generally the router is contained within the modem and is a dual band modem. What exactly are you attempting to do? 

Problem solver

• 

117 Messages

6 years ago

Let me try to translate this question.

When the local environment includes a number of Comcast Gateways providing WiFi connectivity, how do the Gateways manage WiFi channel assignments to prevent co-channel and near-channel interference? Is there an automatic channel selection feature which will select the channel with the smallest interfering signals? Or, is it just dumb luck to find a relatively clear channel.

To put a technical spin on use of channels 1-11 in the US. Because of the spectrum occupancy of a 2.4GHz channel, there are effectively only three non-overlapping channels: 1,6, and 11.

What advice can Comcast give regarding this?

Official Employee

• 

294 Messages

6 years ago

Hi! Thanks for reaching out. There is an automatic channel selection setting that tries to find the channel with the lowest interference. The option to select this channel manually will also be there for those with advanced networking tools. Please let me know how I can further assist.

• 

3 Messages

6 years ago

@Comcast_Gabe,

I'm also asking if Comcast routers that are near each other able to communicate to optimize the network.  Basically, are they friendly neighbors that speak a common language that we just don't see.  I suspect that when two Comcast routers used by two different cuistomers "hear" each other that they each recognize that the other is a Comcast wifi router and somehow work with each other "agree" on what channels to use.  In other words, they play nicely in the same neighborhood whereas if one customer uses a NetGear while the other users a D-Link, their routers don't speak to each other at all.

Visitor

• 

226 Messages

6 years ago

The Xfinity WiFi hotspot network provides millions of Xfinity hotspots throughout Comcast’s geographical footprint so you can always stay connected. Your Comcast Business Modem can see all other wireless networks but, the Xfinity Hotspot that we provide does not mesh with other Xfinity Hotspots (if that's what you mean). If that does not answer your question, let me know.

Problem solver

• 

117 Messages

6 years ago

Nines-Corp-IT,

I know of no vendors supplying inter-site communications for coordinating WiFi channel assignments.

Most vendors/ISPs, including Comcast, supply a smart WiFi channel selection method which is supposed to choose channels with minimum perceived interference. This is applied at power-on and typically do not change channels until next power-on.

The practical solutions to co-channel interference include

• Use a channel scanner to determine nearby channel usage.
  • Configure your site manually for the best channels considering scan results.
  • Configure your site with multiple access points so that local systems see your channels with much better signal than that from your neighbors channels.

Given the dearth of non-overlapping WiFi channels (e.g., channels 1,6, and 11 of what looks like 11 usable channels), the last bullet is the  most robust solution.

Visitor

• 

226 Messages

6 years ago

I am not familiar with your network and, wouldn't want to give you advice being I am not your IT admin. From a general standpoint, the last bullet would be more secure and ideally, a better option. If you feel that you need just a little more clarification, please private message me your full name as it appears on your Comcast Business Account and the number listed. I will do my best to provide you with the information you need.