Skip to content
U

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, October 24th, 2023 2:13 PM

How to turn off XHS SSID from Technicolor modem?

I give up.  I searched the forum and found that the Technicolor modem sends out an SSID of XHS-XXXXXXXX where the XXXX is the last four bytes of the cable MAC address.  The forum note says that Comcast can turn it off - so I contacted support.

What a waste of time.  The support person insisted that only two public WiFi would come from the modem - xfinity and xfinitywifi - these I already have disabled.  Support told me it had to be coming from another piece of equipment but they are wrong - the SSID goes away when I turn off the Technicolor.

How do I get this unwanted SSID turned off?

Thanks

Stu

Official Employee

• 

21 Messages

9 months ago

Hello there @user_4b0321 , Thanks for reaching out! It sounds like that is the SSID used for interfacing with XFINITY Home Security (XHS) and is unfortunately not able to be disabled, however it should be hidden. The first thing I would suggest is a factory reset of the modem to see if that resolves the situation. On most devices there is a pinhole button for factory reset, if you are unable to find it, let me know the model of modem and I can guide you. I do want to point out though, it will delete any settings you may have set up if you do that, so make sure you have everything written down to re-add when done. 

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

9 months ago

I have static IPs on my modem - the last time I did a factory reset (years ago), it blew away the static IPs and I had to go through 800 support hell to get them restored.  So sorry but this isn't an option.

This is a business account and we don't use 'XFinity Home Security' - why is this even present?

I appreciate you responding to my message and providing this context.

Stu

Official Employee

• 

21 Messages

Glad to help @user_4b0321 ! That sounds like it would create quite a headache for sure! Even though it is a business account, depending on the type of service you have, the modems are the same as residential in a majority of cases, so the software is present on the device. The other side to this is we do not have a way to manually disable it on our end, unfortunately. We would need to take the necessary steps to try and get it resolved. One thing I can suggest if you do not want to reset to factory settings (which I totally understand!), we can up a tech visit to come out to take a look. They would either factory reset themselves and reload the statics or swap out the device if necessary. 

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Thank you.  How would I go about scheduling a tech visit?

Official Employee

• 

21 Messages

Sure thing @user_4b0321 ! Please send a direct message by clicking the chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Comcast Business” in the “To” section. Please include your name as well as the phone number and address for the account to get the ball rolling. Thanks!

New Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Frank,

Thanks but on second thoughts, its taken us almost 2 months to get a stable connection that doesn't reset multiple times per day.  After 3 truck rolls and the personal intervention of the regional supervisor, a bad hardline was found and fixed, then the modem rebooted every 13 hours and 5 minutes to  the second.

A new software load was eventually pushed to the modem and now we're been up for almost 3 weeks without any outage.  I think we'll stick with the 'if it aint broke' mantra...

Some search suggests that the XHS network is unable to access our primary network but is completely separate.  If you could confirm that, we'll stay with what we have the works.

Stu

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

21 Messages

Understood! I was not aware of the history of trouble. I think I would feel the same about doing anything else after going through that process. To confirm, the XHS SSID is separate from your subscribed primary service network. It is essentially dormant and not using bandwidth or interfering with your connection in any way. If you change your mind at any point, you can certainly post again, and we would be more than happy to work with you to get a tech out though.

(edited)