Can't create email distribution list

Visitor

Can't create email distribution list

I'm trying to make an email list. I login, click "Manage Services - Email." Then in the next page I click "Add or manage distribution lists."

But all I get is:

Manage Distribution List
We’re sorry, but we are unable to retrieve
your information right now.
Try Again...

Tried this several times but never get past this error. What's up?

14 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Can't create email distribution list

Hello garges,

To your query of distribution error, the source could be mundane as internet browser issue to critical such as your business account needing extensive review. 

The community would like to help but needs some clarifications.

1. Have you try another browser, if yes which ones?

2. How many email address boxes do you have for your account?

Thank you

Visitor

I have tried 3 different browsers, Chrome, Safari, and Firefox. All on Macintosh OSX 10.8.3

I have only 1 email box in use.

Visitor

And let me add that I have 4 email addresses that come with my account. Using 1, so 3 left unused. 

New Contributor

I am also experiencing the same issue. Its seems Comcasts Exchange email solutions is broke 80% of the time. It never works correctly. I had a issue where we were unable to create, remove, or edit any users for 2 months. I was told it was a "known bug" and it was being worked on. After 2 months I was told it was working correctly again and a week later I am unable to create a distribution group.. uhhh! The last incident look 12 support tickets and tones of escalations to get resolved. I'm not even sure I have the time to call day after day as I do have a daily job. I'm going to suggest we look at other providers!

New Contributor

"Error creating Distribution List" is the only error the website puts off. 

Community Manager

HI Bslusarek.  I apologize for the issues you are experiencing managing your services inside the Comcast Business Portal.  Our engineers are working to resolve all of the global interface issues.    We have referred your issues to the Business Portal Support Team for resolution. 

Thank You

Community Manager

Hi Garges.  I apologize for the delay in updating your post.  Our Business Portal Support team has been updated with your issue. Please let us know if you have not been contacted by a support agent.

Thank You

Visitor

I am having the same issues. When I check mail via OWA it shows my list name but I can't do anything with it. So I can create the list but not add anyone to it. (I have never made a distribution list with Comcast so I have no idea what the correct process should look like.)

When they fix it, please post here, I am subscribed to this thread now.

Community Manager

Hi Duane_Jaeger.  Here are the instructions.

How to create a distribution list:

1. Sign in at http://businessclass.comcast.net
    Note: Only the Primary Manager or Services Manager can create a distribution List.
  2. Select Email from the Manage Services Menu.
  3. Select Add or manage distribution lists.
  4. Enter a name for the distribution list and an email address to associate to it and select Submit.
    NoteThe email address cannot be the same as an existing mailbox , email forward, or distribution list.
  5. Select OK in the popup window. You will then see a message indicating that the new list has been created. Select I’m done or Create another distribution list if you would like to create another one following the steps above.

Thank You

Visitor

I am able to make a list. But I can not add any email address to it. 

When I click "Add or manage distribution lists" I get,

We’re sorry, but we are unable to retrieve

your information right now.

Try Again...

I have been recieving this message for some time now. I have tried iExplorer, Chrome, and Firefox. I am a Services Manager on the account. I just want to make a list that has all the email addresses on it called "everyone".

Visitor

Thanks. I was able to create the distribution list today. So something got fixed.

However I now find that I cannot add any email addresses to the list unless I use Outlook. I don't use Outlook and I'm not going to buy it just for that. 

So this feature turned out to be pretty useless.

Visitor

Found this while searching. I guess outlook is free for business customers. 

http://businesshelp.comcast.com/help-and-support/Email/downloading-installing-microsoft-outlook/

I don't want to install outlook on my PC. I want to website to let me do what it is suppose to let me do. Add addresses to my distirbution lists. Hopefully they will fix it. 

Visitor

Well that looked promising, but failed. 

I downloaded Outlook, ran it, got it configured. But after fiddling for over 2 hours came to the conclusion that Outlook for the Mac does not have the feature to manage membership of distribution lists. 

So then I tried the Outlook web access. It forced me to use Lite mode since I'm using a Mac. And it too can't manage membership.

So I borrowed a friend's PC, started IE 8, the only browser that seems to be supported. Got to the point of adding email addresses as members of the list I made. Yey!

Then tested it by sending an email to the distribution list address. And the email went into a black hole. Not delivered to any of the members, not bounced, no error messages. Nothing.

Wasted about 3 days of my life over this stupid thing.

Visitor

Is there a solution to this issue?  When attempted to create a Distribution List, I receive "Error creating distribution list."  I'm on the primary account and Outlook is installed and working, so what could be the problem?  Thank you.

Discussion Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation