Visitor
Thomas
Accepted Solution

Outlook Exchange account setup-Comcast server not recognize e-mail account name

Outlook exchange accounts working fine on several computers, except the two on which I am setting up this week. On both machines, the process hangs up while setting up the primary exchange account/profile.

The error message is the same on each machine, and it has been consistent for two days: "The name cannot be matched to a name in the address list."

A dialogue box for Microsoft Exchange then appears, with this address for the exchange server: "P1MBX02.HMC1.COMCAST.NET" and the mailbox filled in as "=SMTP:[my e-mail address]"

When I click on "check name," the same error message pops up. And ultimately, the message "cannot log on to server."

I've tried various DNS settings.  And I can set up a POP account on one of the machines. But that kind of defeats the utility of a full exchange account.

My e-mail work on the OWA, and it works to permit me to generally administer other aspects of my Comcast business accounts.  It just is not being recognized by the Comcast server for purposes of setting up Outlook.

I welcome your suggestions.

Community Manager
Comcast_John

Re: Outlook Exchange account setup-Comcast server not recognize e-mail account name

Welcome Thomas.  One of our members encounter a similar situation.   The fix was to delete any existing profiles on the PC and create new ones.  This ensures that there is only one userid/password combination being communicated to the server on initial set up.   As you stated in the post access to email via OWA does work, indicating no current issues with your server access.  Let us know if you continue to have issues connecting.

Thank you

fcavalcante

Re: Outlook Exchange account setup-Comcast server not recognize e-mail account name

I'm having the same exact issue on multiple computers. This has been going on for a while and contined to happen on new profiles and fresh OS insalls.

Community Manager
Comcast_John

Welcome FCavalante.  Can you provide some additional details concerning your particular issue?  What are the results when utilizing the website interface? 

Thank You

Visitor
earplug

[ Edited ]

I am having the same issue      "The name could not be resolved. The name could not be matched to a name in the address list."       when setting up an existing email address on a new computer.

I am now on my third escalation to tier 2 support.

1st Response - Must be old profiles on the computer. Could not clean it up so I went out and purchased a new computer.

Called support back with the same issue.

2nd Response - Must be a problem with your domain registrar (we use a vanity domain with the email address). Call them and Microsoft.

Called Support AGAIN! Waiting for a response. What I did find was this Microsoft Exchange Support bulletin and supplied this info to Support. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297801 Troubleshooting Check Name errors

Here are my DNS Records

Retrieving DNS records for autodiscover.signaramacolorado.com...

DNS servers
dns101.comcast.net
dns104.comcast.net
dns105.comcast.net
dns103.comcast.net
dns102.comcast.net

Answer records
autodiscover-rd.hmc1.comcast.net A76.96.52.2086400s

Authority records
hmc1.comcast.net NS dns103.comcast.net7200s
hmc1.comcast.net NS dns102.comcast.net7200s
hmc1.comcast.net NS dns101.comcast.net7200s
hmc1.comcast.net NS dns104.comcast.net7200s
hmc1.comcast.net NS dns105.comcast.net7200
Bulkhaul_Admin

We are having exactly the same problem this week on two pc's where we have reinstalled a fresh copy of all the software.  At this point we are awaiting a call back from Tier 2 but the way it sounds, things don't look very promising.  If anyone has any ideas, I would like to hear them so we can try.  At this point I have 2 pc's I can't use, not goog.

Visitor
earplug

UPDATE:

It has bee 24 hours since my last call to Tech Support.  At that time it was esclated again (3rd time) to Tier 2.

The response on this call from Teir 1 was that "the ticket is assigned and they, Tier 2, will will eventually get back to you"   "There is nothing I can do for you"

So, It is time to escalate to Corporate through my Sales Person,

Visitor
earplug

It has now been 72 HOURS since this has been sent to Tier 2 - NO RESPONSE.

Visitor
earplug

[ Edited ]