Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Setup of VPN with Netgear CG3000 not working - Help!

SOLVED
greenteam

Setup of VPN with Netgear CG3000 not working - Help!

Hi,

We had a stable and working comcast setup with VPN at a previous location but we recently moved to a new physical location.  We were (and are) using a Cisco ASA 5505 for our VPN behind the comcast provided gateway.  We have a new static IP address at the new location, of course, but also a new brand of gateway (we had a SMC SMCD3G but now have a Netgear CG3000DCR).  We have translated the 1-to1 NAT settings in the Comcast Business Gateway software best as we can from the old SMC to the new Netgear device (taking into account the static IP address change), and we can connect out to the internet--but we cannot connect in to the Cisco VPN.    Have been trying for 3 days with no luck.

I have seen many customers having issues of the new Netgear box, is this still a problem?  Everything downstream of the gateway should be the same, so we're a little stumped as to the cause of issue if it's not the Netgear box.

Thanks for any ideas

4 REPLIES
tsummers
Frequent Contributor

Re: Setup of VPN with Netgear CG3000 not working - Help!

I would recommend not using 1 to 1 nat but assigning the static IP directly on your cisco device.
elmergo
Visitor

Comcast proactivly started replacing the SMC modems with the CG3000. We have had 6 instances that the modem would not work with our ASA 5505. The fix for all locations was to have the SMC modem reinstalled after fighting to get the SMC back. A Comcast tech said that the firmware update that is mebtion many times in the forums as a fix did not work for the Cisco ASA. I have not found anyone with a Cisco ASA that is working fine.

What Version are you running?

jdky29

We are having the same issue.  Before Comcast, we had a T1 connected to our Cisco ASA and the VPN worked fine.  Since installing the Netgear and putting in to bridge mode, the VPN to the Cisco ASA will no longer work.  I verified all settings and VPN configs.  This VPN is critical to our business functionality and we need to get this working.  Any suggestions?

elmergo
Visitor

Sounds like a config issue you are having. After you do get it working prepare for frequent drops due to the Netgear modem issues that are very apparent on these forunms. The only post I see that is a fix is the one that they brought an SMC modem out

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation