Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Port forwarding will not work.

SOLVED
Highlighted
propellertech

Port forwarding will not work.

I've setup routers/modems before so this is not my first rodeo.

I've configured the router properly on the 192.168.1.0/24 network and all of our internal clients can access resources outside the private network.

My DynDNS address will successfully ping resulting with the internet IP address assigned to the router.

So, we can access the Internet but external traffic can get reach the router.

Port forwarding has been set up in the router with port 3389 forwarding to the IP address of the server where we want the users to access.

We can successfully internally ping the IP address of the server which accepts port 3389.

The problem is, that the router will not fulfill the forwarding of the external traffic to the internal server.

The router is a Cisco device type BWG Model# DPC3941B

Calling tech support has so far resulting in no success.

Accepted Solution

Re: Port forwarding will not work.

For anyone who comes across this :

If you have this modem through comcast business , there are settings that only they can see by logging into your modem via phone support.  It is how it is programmed in the firmware.

For example :

Even with all settings for ports and firewalls turned off on your modem in the web setup page - you can still lose connecitons in it.

So don't waste your time - if you need it to do somwthing special you might as well call them.

View solution in context
Accepted Solution

After contacting FOSCAM Camera, they gave me a solution that works.  The DWG DPC39416B modem router does not Port Forward as previous Comcast models did.  

For every defined Port Forward entry you make, the firmware or software of the DWG DPC39416B modem router is SUPPOSED to generate 7 other Port Forward definitions with the SAME local IP, but with ports#s 53  80  88  500  3074  3544  4500 under the covers automatically.... Since this little detail is MISSING in the default installation of the CISCO DWG DPC3941B, it has to be done MANUALLY .. UGH...  But it does work..   refer to this URL distributed by FOSCAM:   https://portforward.com/cisco/dpc3941b/? 

View solution in context
6 REPLIES
Trusted Forum Contributor

propellertech and welcome,

Please see my comments, questions, and replies below so we can further assist. Thanks

I've setup routers/modems before so this is not my first rodeo.

I've configured the router properly on the 192.168.1.0/24 network and all of our internal clients can access resources outside the private network.

Please let us know exactly which above router you are refering to 1.) the DPC3941B LAN DHCP Server, 2.) your External Router connected via ethernet cable and  does it use a Static IP adress? If your answer is 1.), why do you need to reprogram the DPC LAN DHCP Server from 10.1.10.1 to 192.168.1.0 and could you post your LAN configuration segent?

My DynDNS address will successfully ping resulting with the internet IP address assigned to the router.

Are you not using the Comcast standard Primary 75.75.75.75 and Secondary 75.75.76.76 DNS at all?

So, we can access the Internet but external traffic can get reach the router.

Port forwarding has been set up in the router with port 3389 forwarding to the IP address of the server where we want the users to access.

Please post your Port Forward command sequence used for port 3389.

We can successfully internally ping the IP address of the server which accepts port 3389.

Are you able to ping from inside the DPC3841B Advanced.Diagnostics.Test Connection area, if not from where?

The problem is, that the router will not fulfill the forwarding of the external traffic to the internal server.

Is the internal server connected directly via ethernet cable to a DPC3941 LAN Port or to your External router?

What is the IP Address of your internal server?

The router is a Cisco device type BWG Model# DPC3941B

???
Ccastcworks

For anyone who comes across this :

If you have this modem through comcast business , there are settings that only they can see by logging into your modem via phone support.  It is how it is programmed in the firmware.

For example :

Even with all settings for ports and firewalls turned off on your modem in the web setup page - you can still lose connecitons in it.

So don't waste your time - if you need it to do somwthing special you might as well call them.

gdermody

After contacting FOSCAM Camera, they gave me a solution that works.  The DWG DPC39416B modem router does not Port Forward as previous Comcast models did.  

For every defined Port Forward entry you make, the firmware or software of the DWG DPC39416B modem router is SUPPOSED to generate 7 other Port Forward definitions with the SAME local IP, but with ports#s 53  80  88  500  3074  3544  4500 under the covers automatically.... Since this little detail is MISSING in the default installation of the CISCO DWG DPC3941B, it has to be done MANUALLY .. UGH...  But it does work..   refer to this URL distributed by FOSCAM:   https://portforward.com/cisco/dpc3941b/? 

gdermody

..also... you only need one set of the 7 port#s per router, not for EACH port forwarded as implied..  

gdermody

...also... be sure you test on a PC or mobile that is NOT on the router's network!!!!  You will get loopback issues... 

Once I addded the Port Forwarding for the 7 port#s  53  80  88  500  3074  3544  4500  at local 10.1.10.xxx  (anything will work for xxx),  I was able to access my FOSCAM camera's:   xxxxxx.myfoscam.org:xxxx

gdermody wrote:

..also... you only need one set of the 7 port#s per router, not for EACH port forwarded as implied..  

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation