Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Netgear CG3000DCR GRE For PPTP VPN

SOLVED
bdv_dave
Visitor

Netgear CG3000DCR GRE For PPTP VPN

I'm at a loss here with the incredibly crippled interface Comcast provides for their router.  I need to enable GRE protocol for PPTP VPN.  A call to the help desk states they "can't see" GRE when logged in as mso, however, evrything I'm finding online states it's a simple checkbox for them to enable me to see it and utilize it in the port forwarding section.  Currenly I have only "both", "udp", and "tcp" available.  The help desk tried to transfer me to their "signature support" people that apparently you have to pay for and they are closed today (new year's day).  I don't need help setting up a VPN server, I need to be able to configure the router with what should be core fuctionality included in a business-class device.  

Can someone please tell me how I am supposed to be able to enable GRE when there's no drop down available and the help desk doesn't have a clue?

3 REPLIES
bdv_dave
Visitor

Re: Netgear CG3000DCR GRE For PPTP VPN

so, after no replies, and a bunch of searching, it appears the netgear can't forward GRE?  How is this possible in a "business class" device?  What are my options here?

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi bdv_dave. Comcast gateways cannot be utilized as the terminating device for VPN applications.  Access to customer networks behind the gateway is achieved via port forwarding or 1 to 1 NAT under the firewall tab or by Static IP assigned to the directly connected CPE.

See the below link for comments from one of our Forum members.

http://forums.businesshelp.comcast.com/t5/Equipment-Modems-Gateways/NAT-conflict-with-NetGear-CG3000...

Thank YOu

bdv_dave
Visitor

so comcast provides a "business class" modem/router that's not capable of routing GRE?  does this mean that my only option (other than exposing my windows server directly to the Internet) is to buy a router, have the netgear placed in bridge mode and then configure the router to do what the Netgear should be easily capable of doing?

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation