joltcoder
Accepted Solution

Need to enable UPNP on Comcast Business Gateway

Up until recently I had been able to configure my router using telnet and the mso login. I was able to enable to UPNP and everything was working fine. Recently, according to much information available online, Comcast pushed changes that changed the credentials of the mso user and I am now unable to fully configure my router. I require upnp for some of my business applications and I need to have this rectified ASAP.

Please advise:

Brian Reisman

Community Manager
Comcast_John

Re: Need to enable UPNP on Comcast Business Gateway

Joltcoder, Welcome to the forum.   Per Comcast Corporate policies, business gateway access via the MSO login has always been restricted to Comcast employees only.   All Comcast supported applications are pre-loaded to the gateway configuration file prior to install.  The LAN side interface provides customer access to the DHCP & Firewall setting for end user customization.   With DHCP enabled on the gateway, each connected device has the ability to communicate with all other connected devices on the same subnet and any additional UPnP functionality/applications can be configured via the customer's network appliance such as a Netgear Router or Apple Wireless appliance.

Thank you

joltcoder

So to be clear the "solution" you are suggesting involves creating a dmz and forwarding all traffic to an internal router which would have upnp enabled:

e.g. 

LAN (192.168.1.0/24) <--> Personal Gateway (Linksys, Netgear, etc) <--> Comcast Business Gateway (10.1.10.0/24) <--> Internet

essentially the 10.1.10.0 network would be a dmz.

Is this correct?

Why wouldn something as typical as upnp not be accessible to business customers?

Community Manager
Comcast_John

joltcoder, for applications beyond the "Comcast gateway demarc" we cannot provide a "Comcast sanctioned solution."  However the information that you provided in your post is technically sound.

Occasional Visitor
Aristo

At best  ISP'S are loathe to allow open unfettered  peer to peer traffic across their networks.