Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

MAC address of attached devices?

jdougherty

MAC address of attached devices?

Hello,

We have an account with an SMC gateway. We currently have a Netgear wireless router attached to the modem and managing our internal network. We are setting up a VPN connection to a remote office and my company has supplied me with a Cisco ASA-class firewall device. 

Are we required to internally set the MAC address of the firewall apliance in the router, or do we need to do this directly with Comcast?

I ask because we tried to set this device up last night and we were unable to pass any traffice thorugh it to the ourside. Also, we noticed that the "Online" list on the modem repeatedly blinked when the firewall was connected, but remains steady when we reconnected the wireless router. This is what made us wonder if Comcast needed the MAC address of the new device to provision the connection.

Thanks for any assistance.

2 REPLIES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: MAC address of attached devices?

Hi jdougherty.  The Comcast gateway does not require the MAC Address for any connected device. Devices can obtain an IP address automatically (DHCP) from the gateway as long as LAN DHCP is enabled in the gateway and the connect device is configured for DHCP.  Also a Static IP address can be assigned manually to a connected device.  Also when assigning a Static IP to a connected device it is not necessary to assign the Static IP to the DMZ.

Thank You

jdougherty

Re: MAC address of attached devices?

Thanks for the information. I greatly appreciate it.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation