Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Looking for some VPN configuration help

DonnaC2014

Looking for some VPN configuration help

Hi, we are trying to do a VPN from a remote site back to our main office.  At the remote site we are using Comcast business with a static IP, the router we were given is a Netgear CG3000DCR Firmware Version V1.33.03  Hardware Version 1.04.  I know I cannot use the comcast router itself to do the VPN so I have a Cisco RV082 to do that.

At main office we have a Cisco ASA 5505, ASA Version 9.1(2).  It currently handles about 10 VPN's to other remote sites, all of which are working.

What I am looking for is advice on a few things:

1.  Can the CG3000DCR deal with letting the RV082 have the external IP and setup a VPN?

2.  If not can I request a different router from Comcast that will let us do that?

3.  Should I have the RV082 trying to use the external IP address we were assigned or an IP address in the internal range the CG3000DCR uses (10.1.10.x)?

4.  Anything else I may have missed asking about?

1 REPLY
Trusted Forum Contributor

Re: Looking for some VPN configuration help

Hello DonnaC2014,

Here are some considerations for you:

1.  Can the CG3000DCR deal with letting the RV082 have the external IP and setup a VPN?

Most folks that I know using such RV082 devices will use a staticIP address in this device and use the RV082 dynamic address to facilitate the VPN IP per client. If you do this then it is mandatory to disable the CG3000 internal DHCP server.  Also make sure the CG3000 firewall for staticIP is disabled. Lastly, I would check the RV082 EnetPort Spec i.e. 100MPS or 1GPS and whatever CG3000 LanPort 1-4 the RV082 is wired to disable auto-negotiate and set that LanPort to full duplex 100MPS or 1GPS.   

2.  If not can I request a different router from Comcast that will let us do that?

3.  Should I have the RV082 trying to use the external IP address we were assigned or an IP address in the internal range the CG3000DCR uses (10.1.10.x)?

Same answer here as #1.

4.  Anything else I may have missed asking about?

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation