Equipment (Modems,Gateways)

Clarification on Static IP Assignment to Customer Owned Equipment

WKGeorge

Clarification on Static IP Assignment to Customer Owned Equipment

Hello,

I'm trying to get a straight answer to whether or not we can utilize a Comcast static, public IP on our coporate (non-Comcast) firewall.  

We pay for one static IP.  We have the Netgear CG3000DR, just got it installed yesterday.  I don't want the router/firewall function of this device, I just want to put the public, static ip address right on our corporate firewall device.

Comcast says they can put the Netgear in bridge mode, but, as I understand it, once they do that we will lose our static public IP and have to use a dynamically assigned one.  This won't work for us since we will have external DNS records pointing to the public IP.

Is this really the case, that the customer can't use public, static IP addresses on their own equipment?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Clarification on Static IP Assignment to Customer Owned Equipment

HI WKGeorge.  Comcast fixed Static IP address can be assigned to any device connected to a Comcast router/gateway. However the router/gateway cannot be set to bridge mode when Static IP addresses are being used.

Trusted Forum Contributor

Re: Clarification on Static IP Assignment to Customer Owned Equipment

Hello

Just some small points of clarification here:

1. Netgear CG3000DCR can have its internal DHCP server (10.1.10.1) disabled and this acts a pseudo-bridge mode

2. The primary reason for doing this is to not have conflicts with your firewall device's internal DHCP server and use the inherent security aspects of your firewall  This means that the CG3000 is merely a passthrough device providing internet access through it's StaticIP gateway.

3. When you disable the the CG3000 internal DHCP server, there is absolutely no loss of your CG3000 Static IP(s) functionality as long as :

a.) all your static IP devices(es) have their network static configuration setup with the static IP routable, gateway, and subnet mask parameters.

b.) all your static IP devices(s) are directly connected to any of the 4 lanports via ENET cables or indirectly via a prescribed hub or switch.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation