Connectivity

What are these Firewall blocks and should I do anything about them?

wv-services
Visitor

What are these Firewall blocks and should I do anything about them?

My team has been having connectivity issues with our Comcast connection.  Roughly 10-15 times a day the internet would become unresponsive for the whole office anywhere between 10-90 seconds.  We had a Comcast tech come out and attempted to troubleshoot the issue but ultimately decided there wasn't a problem on Comcast's end.  That said we continue to have issues so I test all the patch cables.  After experiencing a handful of outages today (2018/2/26) I noticed the following entries in the Event logs on the Comcast modem/router:

2018/2/26 13:04:17 Firewall Blocked FW.IPv6 FORWARD drop, 7206 Attempts.
2018/2/26 13:04:17 Firewall Blocked FW.IPv6 INPUT drop, 4319 Attempts.
2018/2/26 10:58:01 Firewall Blocked FW.LAN2SELF DROP, 3 Attempts.
2018/2/26 04:58:01 Firewall Blocked FW.WANATTACK DROP, 1 Attempts.

It is very possible this has no relation to my office's internet connectivity issues, but I don't know what these are nor what to do about them if anything.  Does anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks!

evazquez00
Visitor

Re: What are these Firewall blocks and should I do anything about them?

I asked the same question (and had the same weird connectivity issues).

What I was told by self-described Tier 3 support at Comcast was:

1 - The modem is not meant to be a "production" firewall /router.  You are expected to have your own internal LAN gear (firewall, switches, etc.).

2 - As a result, the "firewall" capabilities and functionality of the modem are rudimentary at best, and the code base behind the firewall functions is not updated.

My solution was to purchase a good OpnSense appliance and a fanless Juniper switch.  This fixed my weird firewall /packet /blocking issues.

I'm still having upstream issues with video /audio conference and multimedia streaming, and waaayy too frequent outages (two major, as in more than six-hours, in the past three months along with daily "blips" throughout the day), so maybe it's endemic to current cable technology?

Official Employee

Hi wv-services and welcome to the business forums.

I would like to help with your internet services. Please private message me your full name, the name of your business, the full service address and the phone number associated with your account. I'll review your account for any signal issues.

Official Employee

Hi evazquez00. I replied to your other thread.

wv-services
Visitor

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

I will private message Comcast_Phil.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation